Ben Jen Holdings SLLC is looking to recruit and hire a VP of Private Equity Portfolio Management who will be a senior and experienced professional who has worked in early stage venture capital space, accelerators, incubators, and within the startup ecosystem. This role will be responsible for managing a portfolio of companies, creating reports, and presenting to the investment committee, and both sourcing and doing diligence on deal flow that will lead to early stage investments. This person will be responsible for building a team, with a sector focus on financial services, emerging technology, education, and sustainability. This role will also involve creating quarterly growth goals/metrics, building team culture, bringing new investors into the firm, creating reporting, and operating procedures that will help the firm scale. The role will be responsible for building and managing the portfolio, realizing attractive exit opportunities, and helping the portfolio grow their sales and marketing strategies.
- Developing and demonstrating subject matter expertise within the team including market, sector and competitive trends, business models, lending models and making the group more scalable through optimizing how we conduct business and manage the portfolio. This includes attending events and client meetings.
- Utilizes substantial decision making and independent judgement in negotiations and building relationships. Influences and drives decisions.
- Provide hands-on leadership for all aspects of investment activity from origination to exit. Build quarterly company goals and metrics that assist with Ben Jen Hpoldings’ venture growth. Align company goals and metrics with key performance indicators (KPI).
- Assist with sourcing proprietary investment opportunities and investment deal flow pipeline through the validation of business opportunities, establishing an investment case, and conducting due-diligence on companies.
- Develop a complete understanding of an emerging company by evaluating its market opportunity, competition, product, sales and growth, operations, financial statements and projections, management strength, equity needs, and capital structure.
- Work with and support existing portfolio companies, including attending board meetings and monitoring performance to ensure returns and strategic objectives are achieved.
- Assist and evaluate the growth strategy of portfolio companies, lend advice, and lead portfolio companies towards their growth goals and roadmaps, including but not limited to go-to-market strategy, growth marketing, funnel optimization, financial modeling, and growth projections, with the ultimate goal of revenue generation and labor efficiency optimization
- Build monthly portfolio reports based on regular meetings with companies and their founding team. Create reporting that she/he/they will present to the executive and investment team. Help the investment team understand the value of each company, progress, and evaluate future investment opportunities (follow-on funding) for each company in the portfolio.
- Work with GPs and LPs of Ben Jen Holdings, and their affiliates, through 1435 Capital Management and Windward Capital (SIPC/FINRA) in establishing quarterly financial reports and milestone reports.
- A minimum of 5+ years of experience including significant experience in the startup world, accelerators, incubators, and with a deep understanding of the early stage venture capital space.
- Work experience in venture capital and investment on the east coast, project management and portfolio management experience.
- Proven experience sourcing investments, including deal analysis, due diligence, reviewing and negotiating documentation, serving as deal interface, and driving deal processes.
- Highly developed analytical skills with ability to define issues, collect and analyze pertinent data, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, draw valid conclusions, propose sound recommendations, and implement approved solutions in support of specified goals; attention to detail is critical.
- Understanding growth-focused portfolio needs, experience managing a portfolio, and leading startups to achieve marketing/sales related needs.
- FINRA Series 65
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Ben Jen Holdings SLLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class. When we collect your personal information as part of a job application or offer of employment, we do so in accordance with industry standards and best practices and in compliance with applicable privacy laws.
Note to Applicants
Please attach your cover letter with your CV in one file as a PDF file. Starting date is anticipated for Winter/Spring of 2022.