This Tuesday, November 27th is #GivingTuesday, the global day of giving. Giving Tuesday started a few years back on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving and kicks off the charitable season, which many focus on individuals and corporations looking to donate in the spirit of the holiday season. One of the best ways to get involved is through direct community involvement, such as working with a local charity or through volunteering.
Both Facebook and PayPal have pledged to match up to $7 million in donations on Tuesday to eligible charities and non-profits as part of their gift-matching program. Here are some notable local charities to donate or get involved with on #GivingTuesday
- American Red Cross — Blood Drive: Each year, especially during the holidays, many blood banks are looking for willing donors, willing to help save a life. You can help by donating blood at a local blood bank, or directly through the American Red Cross. For more information and locations near you, go to www.redcrossblood.org.
- Creative Impact for Change: Creative Impact for Change is an organization local to the Boston area. They believe in connecting people of different races and backgrounds together through art, creativity, and through Taiko. Karen Young the Executive Director quotes, “teaching taiko isn’t just about teaching people to be with a drum, but teaching them how to be ‘good people’ through the use of music and art.” More information about the program can be found online at www.creativeimpactforchange.org
- Women Against Abuse: Women Against Abuse is a domestic violence advocacy organization and service provider based out of Philadelphia. It is among the largest domestic violence agencies in the country. To learn about how you can help empower survivors on their journey to safety, you can visit www.womenagainstabuse.org
- Bamboo Ladder: Bamboo Ladder is a non-profit organization that guides young entrepreneurs and future innovators by empowering them with the essential experience, mentorship, and resources to help grow their startups. The organization is aimed at helping high school students and young-adults, aged 16–24 and provides scholarships and grant funding to qualified individuals and companies. For more information, visit www.bambooladder.org
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention: Every year, thousands of individuals lose their life to suicide. There is no single cause to suicide, and occurs most often when stressors exceed current coping abilities. It is one of the leading causes of death among young adults. The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention brings awareness about this growing problem. If you know of anyone in crisis, you should direct them to the National Suicide Prevention Hotline, available 24/7 at 800–273-TALK (8255) or by texting TALK to 741741. More information is available at www.afsp.org
Remember, every donation, either through donating money or time helps. There are always ways to give back to your community to those around you. For more information about the Giving Tuesday movement, go to www.givingtuesday.org
This article was initially posted on Medium at: https://medium.com/@benjenholdings/tis-the-season-to-be-giving-givingtuesday-3b3706ba62f8